Bushfire near Wickham
Wickham residents and motorists travelling the Point Samson to Roebourne Road are advised to be careful with a bushfire burning southwest of Wickham near the motocross track and Tank Hill.
The Fire and Emergency Services Authority said firefighters are on the scene and the bushfire, which is burning in spinifex and grass, is under control and not threatening lives or property.
WA Police will likely keep the Point Samson to Roebourne Road partially closed for the rest of the evening.
Motorists should avoid the area if possible, expect delays and remain patient.
Although there is no immediate danger from the fire, FESA has advised locals to be aware and follow the safety guidelines reprinted below.
What you should do
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames
- Check the Fire Danger Rating for your area to help you decide what to do www.fesa.wa.gov.au/firedangerratings
- Read through your bushfire survival plan
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse
- Be extremely careful
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears