Fire damages Onslow supermarket

The Onslow community is left without a supermarket after a fire broke out early Monday morning.

Onslow police said they received the callout about 4am after a member of the public reported flames and smoke coming from the roof of the supermarket.

Local volunteer firefighters and police attended, with fire crews able to contain the fire within about 30 minutes.

The fire started in the freezer section of the supermarket but was contained before spreading to the rest of the business.

Police said significant water and smoke damage as a result of the fire could

have caused as much as $1.5million worth of damage.

Although fire investigations are continuing, Onslow Police said they do not consider the fire to be suspiciously lit, and that that it appears to have been ignited due to a mechanical fault on one of the freezers.

No one was injured during the incident.

The Shire of Ashburton has formed a coordination group to respond to community needs, made up of Onslow Supermarket, Shire of Ashburton, Onslow Police, Emergency Services, Chevron, Bechtel, Thalanyji and Nikki’s Restaurant.

Essential grocery supplies will now be available at MPC Hall.

The-fire-inside-Onslow-Supermarket-was-contained-to-the-freezer-section

Pin It

Comments are closed.